Thursday, September 4, 2008

(Re)make it New

Article link: (Re)make it New

In this article, William Bostwick, the author, talks about how designers and artists should stop making "found objects" art, and start using elements of different objects to make something new.

There were parts of his argument where I agreed, and parts where I didn't. A lot of objects now, and in the past, have certain design qualities in them that, while I wouldn't call art, are definitely artistic in nature. If they're nice to look at, why not put it on display? And I honestly don't see what's so wrong about recasting. The way I see it, it's a different way of thinking, which I consider to be a creative outlet one way or another.

However, I do agree that artists should focus more on putting different elements in their designs, rather than using old objects and calling them art. If too many artists did something like Duchamps did, and called a shovel art, what Duchamps did in the first place would lose its impact on art, not to mention put a stop on art, design and their progresses through history.

No comments: